For Halloween we decided to throw a little get together. I know a lot of my running friends are Vegan so I needed to make sure we had something on hand for them to eat. I also enjoy eating Vegan food. I try really hard to at least eat vegetarian but I have not made the full commitment or lifestyle change. We decided we would make Chili for Halloween as it is something that is filling but easy to make. I went on the search on my favorite site PINTEREST and found a Vegan Crock Pot Quinoa and Black Bean Chili. One of the SCARY things about trying out a new recipe for guest is it might turn out HORRIBLE! Luckily it was the complete opposite! It was amazing! Even a meat lover commented on really liking the recipe. It was super easy to make and I even used some of my veggie broth that I had made the other week.
- 2¼ cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 15 oz can black beans
- ½ container 28 oz diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 shredded carrot
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ small chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup corn kernels
- chopped avocado chunks
- chopped green onions
- shredded carrot
- Add the broth, quinoa, black beans and tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Next add the peppers, carrot, onion and garlic, and stir, then add the rest of the seasonings and stir a few times to combine.
- Set the slow cooker (Crock-Pot) to high for 2 ½ to 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours (for high, monitor the last 30 minutes and for low, monitor the last hour).
Here is my Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/186195765819766286/
Here is the link to the original post: http://jessicainthekitchen.com/vegan-crockpot-quinoa-black-bean-chili/
*Photo is from original poster Jessica in the Kitchen. I forgot to take good photos as I was rushing to get ready for the party.
The best part is the chili freezes well. So I am going to end up freezing little baggies of this and having them at work for lunch during the winter! Here is a photo from work of the yummy leftover vegan chili!